TRO Forums  

Welcome to the TRO Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you severely limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   TRO Forums > TRO Community Information > The Water Cooler

The Water Cooler All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy! If it is off topic, come to the water cooler and share some jokes or virtual office gossip!

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #1
SCHAEFSE
She Who Must Be Obeyed...

Referrals: 0
SCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honored
Default I'm not old enough to be this cynical / jaded :-p

I was born & raised in California, lived there all my life until 5.5 years ago.

So meeting with clients today that want to plan a 10-14 night FIT in California. My gut reaction when they first called? Why would anyone want to vacation in California??? Yup, cynical and jaded, and way too young to have reached that point in my life.

I'm so glad I'm going on vacation next week (WDW), I need a strong drink so I can snap out of this.

(And I know we have TRO'ers that still live in California---please take no offense to my snarky attitude )

Ships 'N' Trips Travel & Kick Butt Vacations
Brentwood, Tennessee
SCHAEFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Richard Earls
TRO Administrator

Referrals: 184
Richard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthoodRichard Earls is being considered for sainthood
Default Re: I'm not old enough to be this cynical / jaded :-p

Actually, I love CA from SFO North. It remains one of my favorite destinations. I can't get enough Redwoods! Today I heard a story on NPR about the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't know much about it but it sounded great.

Richard
Richard Earls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
SCHAEFSE

SCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honoredSCHAEFSE is honored

Well California really is 3 states in 1 (north, central, and south). I spent the bulk of my life in SoCalif with only 5 years in the salad bowl (central Calif). Northern is a whole different planet (and beautiful).

Brentwood, Tennessee
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
deangreenhoe
Cranky Bastard Flying Monkey Moderator

Referrals: 3
deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!

California remains one of my favorite places to vacation. Even in the backyard of La-La land I've enjoyed some great road-trips, including the Rim of the World Drive in the San Bernardinos and the Angeles Crest Highway. My most recent stomping ground adventures have been in the back country of Riverside and San Diego County.

I did northern and central CA first, the Redwoods, Big Sur, Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon so finding plenty of interest to visit in the far south came as a nice surprise.

Your license to be cynical and jaded about CA has now been officially revoked. LOL.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #5
SCHAEFSE

But when you've lived there for (muffle, muffle) years you just can't wrap your brain around it being a desirable vacation destination.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
deangreenhoe
Cranky Bastard Flying Monkey Moderator

Referrals: 3
deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!deangreenhoe is a TRO Idol!!!

Originally Posted by SCHAEFSE View Post
But when you've lived there for (muffle, muffle) years you just can't wrap your brain around it being a desirable vacation destination.
Other than 8 years of living in Minneapolis, I've spent my whole life in Michigan and I think it's a fantastic destination for a vacation, shamefully overlooked actually.

Sorry. License still revoked. LOL.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #7
MaggieToo
Senior TRO Travel Professional

MaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the cropMaggieToo is the cream of the crop

I lived in San Diego in my Navy wife days. California is a different planet. LOL.
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
jfrenaye
TRO Travel Professional

Referrals: 106
jfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is reveredjfrenaye is revered

I agree with Richard....SFO North and San Diego. But honestly Susan, who better to plan that trip (as jaded as you may be) than someone who knows the ins and outs as good as you?
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #9
SCHAEFSE

Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
I agree with Richard....SFO North and San Diego. But honestly Susan, who better to plan that trip (as jaded as you may be) than someone who knows the ins and outs as good as you?
Oh, I agree (they didn't even know they could visit John Steinbeck's home, that there were day tours around the areas he wrote about - where I used to live - etc.). Just surprised at myself being this cynical / jaded and I'm not even "grandma aged" yet.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
babs
Senior TRO Travel Professional

Referrals: 2
babs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honoredbabs is honored

Originally Posted by SCHAEFSE View Post
... and I'm not even "grandma aged" yet.
Ahem

Just arriving home from 5 nights in NYC gave me a whole new appreciation for CA! It's wonderful to visit the east coast - but I am a true sunny SoCal suburbanite!

TRO Forums > TRO Community Information > The Water Cooler